Long time no post, but the site is still very much alive and so am I. I've had a busy 6 months with getting married and everything associated, but I've got time to get back into shooting. I'm in the process of re-building my 8x10 into a field camera so that I can cart it about, and I'm about to get into making Aristotypes or Collodion Print Out Paper along with still woking with Argyrotypes. Hopefully more new stuff soon.
The exhibition is done at the Off The Kerb gallery, everything went well, lots of people came a long and checked out the work and had lots of kind words to say. I learnt a lot on how the whole exhibition thing works, and its given me a good idea of how/what I'd like to show next.
Now the exhibition is done, I have some prints to sell! The prints are archival optical C-prints on Kodak Endura Metallic paper, and are A2 in size. Make your way over to the new "Shop" page and pick one up. If you have any questions about them, drop me a line.
I spent the weekend with the help of some friends and gallery curators getting the exhibition on the wall. It took a couple of goes to get the layout right, but als well that ends well. It also took a couple of runs to get the prints right for a couple of the images, but I'm happy with the final result.
A panorama of the upstairs gallery at Off the Kerb in Collingwood, with my work hanging on the walls ready for the exhibition.
I've been able to get an exhibition at Off The Kerb gallery in Collingwood, Melbourne opening on the 25th July and running until the 8th of August. I'm very for my first solo show, especially at such a great gallery. I've had the prints done at the Colour Factory in Fitzroy, who have been really great to work with, and hopefully everyone likes them as much as I do.
Here's the gallery flyer for the show
I had tried the sliding box 8x10 that I made, and hated it, so I built another 8x10 from scratch. I purchased a Cambo back from the LFF, and both the Arca Swiss bellows and DSLR focusing rail from eBay, and built the rest from marine grade plywood.
I'm quite happy with the result so far, and the whole camera works quite nicely, so hopefully some big plates soon.
I've been trying out some Fuji X-ray film, with the aim of using the high contrast neg for alt-printing.
So I finally cracked the processing of the film, using a Patterson tank instead of trays, 8x10:
Then I tried it with some Argyrotype printing, and the nothing photo had a good result:
I'm in the process of building a new 8x10 sliding box camera. There are a few small bits to finish, but I should be done by this weekend. Here's some nearly finished shots:
Also I picked up a cheap 8x10 back and some X-Ray film to play with.
After much traveling and a busy work schedule I was able to shoot some tintypes with some collodion I'd mixed a month or so earlier. After all the hassle of the covered shower tent, I decided to go with a growth tent instead, only $100 of eBay. And thankfully it worked well, as did the home made collodion. So next on the list is building a new 8x10 camera and shooting some big plates. Some of the shots are in the tintypes section.
I tested my new DIY portable darkroom today in possibly the windiest/wettest days we've had all year. The darkroom went well for its first run, it needs some adjustment with the tarp dark cover, where the flap on the tarp needs to be attached with velcro or something. Also I need to get a strong camping light and cover with red cellophane, the 25W lamp wasn't bright enough to really see the developer and collodion pouring properly, hence the plates came out a mess. The resulting images were exposed okay on both aluminium and acrylic, but the pours and light leaks from the poorly shut tent ruined the images.
The next round of shots will be down with my home made 8x10 and Chamonix made wetplate holder. The Century View camera I used today just isn't made for wet-plate, and it's just a little too fragile. The lens on the DIY camera doesn't fully cover 8x10, so I'll make a reducing adapter for the holder, maybe both full-plate and 4x5 size out of acrylic.
Over the last few weeks/months I've been preparing for shooting large-format wet-plates. I was able to acquire a Century View Camera dating from around 1902, with a number of holders so I can start shooting some full-plate sized tintypes.
Last weekend I constructed a portable darkroom, which consists of a camping shower tent, with a duct-tape/tarp cover to provide the darkness. This should give me more than enough working room, and also get me away from the house.
This weekend I'll be putting it all into action, shooting on some black acrylic and some blackened aluminium. Fingers crossed it all goes well.