A trying day

I tested my new DIY portable darkroom today in possibly the windiest/wettest days we've had all year. The darkroom went well for its first run, it needs some adjustment with the tarp dark cover, where the flap on the tarp needs to be attached with velcro or something. Also I need to get a strong camping light and cover with red cellophane, the 25W lamp wasn't bright enough to really see the developer and collodion pouring properly, hence the plates came out a mess. The resulting images were exposed okay on both aluminium and acrylic, but the pours and light leaks from the poorly shut tent ruined the images.

The next round of shots will be down with my home made 8x10 and Chamonix made wetplate holder. The Century View camera I used today just isn't made for wet-plate, and it's just a little too fragile. The lens on the DIY camera doesn't fully cover 8x10, so I'll make a reducing adapter for the holder, maybe both full-plate and 4x5 size out of acrylic.

The camping shower tent that is the base of the mobile darkroom

 Taped up tarp cover to make the portable darkroom dark.

Taped up tarp cover to make the portable darkroom dark.

 Inside the darkroom with all the wet plate junk.

Inside the darkroom with all the wet plate junk.

 The Century View camera I used today, made for dry not wet plates.

The Century View camera I used today, made for dry not wet plates.

 The terrible plates shot today. 

The terrible plates shot today.